Tuesday, May 1, 2012

From Peace to Reflection to Sorrow - May 2012

It has been quite a month in April..the beginnings were blessed Leakhena and I were blessed to finally have a honeymoon 3 months after being married. As many of you know already we were blessed by being able to build 18 more homes of Hope in the community starting  the day after our wedding. One of our friends Wally sent us to one of his favourite places in Vietnam called Vung Tau whuch is a 6 hour bus ride and a one and  a half hour ferry ride to get to.


We were blessed with great weather and God provided us with meeting good friends of Wally's to show us around but for us the time spent away from the busyness of starting the Ministry and to spend time with each other was blessed. We were able to find that Peace that only comes from Christ and realized the necessity to step back and put time into our marriage and the love we have for each other .I believe this was a blessing to understand this and not to get caught up with the "good works" but realize our Covenant  with God needs time spent investing in also.


One of the things they have in Vung Tau is a huge statue of Jesus that you can walk up to the top of the mountain and then actually walk inside up to His outstretched hands. I just wanted to share some reflections as I walked up the mountain:


As I was walking up the mountain ....the journey was tough ...I was walking to see Jesus up this mountaintop and as I climbed the many stairs I needed to stop and rest many times. I was asking myself all the time is it really worth it to see Jesus. This journey is so hard just when I turn a corner thinking I am there another set of stairs to take me just a little bit further in my journey. I was out of breath most of the time as the mountain was steep and I am overweight and out of shape. As I stopped for one of my numerous breaks I was thinking about my lack of physical fitness and the words "my yoke is light" rang in my head. I was thinking that maybe your burden is light but my body surely isn't. Then it struck me that my weight was a burden I put upon myself and one that affects my walk with Christ. It took my being out of breath and shape to start to realize the burdens I put upon myself and there are many. I put many burdens upon my shoulders...raising funding for the community and our Ministry, expectations of others,expectations of myself, pride,ego, I will show them attitude.


As I journeyed closer to Jesus (yes I know its only a statue ) and as I started to lay these burdens down and seek God's forgiveness I started to catch a second wind and didn't feel quite so exhausted. I reached the last plateau before the top and there was Christ lying dead before me but more importantly for me. It was funny that  joy not sadness came over me then that he loved me so much to die for me a sinner. The last few steps were made with ease and as I got to the top I was refreshed. You see there was a small stand at the top that had cold water and as I sat and drank of it I was so thankful to the Lord for providing this water of Life to me . I sat at His feet and drank of the water and looked out at His beautiful canvas of sky and ocean mesmerized by its beauty.


As I started my journey down I thought it would be easy but as I started to descend my legs felt like rubber from the climb up and every step I took away from Jesus my legs felt like they would collapse under me. This was all a reminder to me for a couple of things...one that if I walk away from Jesus every step I take the legs can be taken right out from under me at anytime..secondly that I wouldn't be in that position if it wasn't for the chains (burdens) I mentioned before putting on myself . Needless to say I need to go on a diet for the physical healing but as I write this I put all my burdens down at the feet of Christ and pray that I do not lift them up again,


The month ended in sorrow as a civil rights activist was shot and killed exposing the corruption and devestation of the forests of Cambodia by the government and military. Chut Vutty was a tiresome defender of the forests. You can see an article here


 http://www.phnompenhpost.com/index.php/2012042755825/National-news/another-chapter-in-bloody-history.html


Please pray for his family and the family of the military officer that also died in this incident supposedly by his own hand but there are many speculations about the true happenings that day.




I pray that we all they our burdens at the foot of the Christ and move forward in His yoke


God bless


kevin and Leakhena


1 comment:

  1. Good for you Kevin for wanting to lose the excess weight and take care of your body which is the temple of God so you'll be more efficient and effective tool for God to bless others for a longer period on earth. I pray that the Lord will help you to succeed and sustain a healthy body, both physically and spiritually. I cheer you!

    Alice Chan

    ReplyDelete